We call this the ultimate Netflix & Chile (con Queso). This is the dip that will have people licking all their fingers and the bowl to get every last drip.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup half & half
- 4 ounces (about 1 cup) grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces (about 1/2 cup) grated Pepper Jack cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp burn hot sauce + more to garnish
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp Burn Hot Sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely diced tomatoes (use only the flesh, no seeds or juice)
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, and jalapeños and cook for 4 minutes
- Stir in the flour. Add the half & half and cook until the flour dissolves. Bring the mixture to a simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Turn down the heat and gradually add the cheeses. Continuously whisk the cheese with a wooden spatula. The constant motion will allow the cheese to evenly melt without burning in the pot.
- Add the cumin, salt, red pepper flakes, and tomatoes and stir until it’s evenly mixed.
- Turn off the heat and add Burn Hot Sauce. Add more hot sauce if you want a spicier kick.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve with tortilla chips.